Let Me Explain…

Is it just me, or do you find yourself infiltrated with the trendiest new diets or weight loss regimens basically everywhere you go? Whether that be in the check out line at the grocery store while reading the tabloids, aimlessly scrolling through social media when you’re bored and/or seriously procrastinating, or getting a phone call from your long lost best friend who wants you to subscribe to their subscription diet regimen.

I love technology, but I also think that technology is one of the biggest evils facing our health. We are constantly being faced with books, trends, fads, and individuals who consider themselves nutrition experts because they eat food and have had some success with weight loss. Now, this is where I come into the equation- I am a dietetic intern at Cornell University, where I am completing one of the many requirements to become a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist (RDN). As a rising RDN, I strive to provide you, and the community, with a credible and evidence based health, nutrition, and wellness source so you as a consumer have all of the necessary information needed to make the most informed and healthful dietary decisions. I will do your homework for you so that I can be your one stop click to the most accurate nutrition information.

A registered dietitian is a health care professional, who is an expert in food and nutrition who advises people on what to eat in order to lead a healthy lifestyle or achieve a specific health-related goal.

So, what is the difference between a Nutritionist and a Registered Dietitian Nutritionist?

Check out the infographic below to see the key differences:

All dietitians are nutritionists, but not all nutritionists are dietitians.

As you can see above, unless you are receiving your dietary information from a RDN you can’t be certain that you are receiving accurate, science based and safe information.

Through this blog, I plan to use peer-reviewed, scientific literature to answer some of the worlds most controversial dietary questions.

Have you ever asked yourself:

Should I buy organic or conventional?
What’s the big deal about GMO vs. Non-GMO?
What diet is best for me?
How do I lose weight?
Are carbohydrates the enemy? Speaking of carbs, is butter a carb?
How much sugar should I eat? Are artificial sweeteners okay?
I live in a climate with a short produce season, should I buy fresh or frozen?
What supplements should I be taking?

The list of very confusing questions is endless, but each week I will answer one of these questions so you can feel confident you have the necessary information to make an informed and healthful dietary decision to live the healthiest version of you.

Feel free to comment below on nutrition or wellness questions you would like answered.

Until next week.

Hannah

12 Comments

1. Jepper

May 29, 2017 at 1:32 am

I went for a long run today and needed fuel. The group I was running with was using maple syrup in their water. What are your thoughts on that as a fuel for mid exercise endurance athletes?

1. hannahfeinberg

May 29, 2017 at 12:47 pm

Hi Jepper! Thank you very much for your question! Keep your eye out for a blog post addressing this topic in the coming weeks.
      During a long run, our bodies utilize our stored forms of glucose for fuel. Therefore, consuming quick, and easily absorbable energy, that is providing you with glucose, is the preferred option for mid-run fueling. Maple syrup is a great source of glucose and has some added nutritional values that other sports products don’t have- maple syrup is a natural source of manganese, zinc, potassium, and antioxidants. With that said, maple syrup is lacking the electrolytes necessary for performance and recovery; I recommend supplementing maple syrup products with a sports drink or electrolyte tab.

2. Trevor

May 30, 2017 at 12:11 am

Do a post on ironman nutrition for racing and training? What should one eat more of if he or she is training 14-20 hours a week? What do you recommend eating race week and race day?

1. hannahfeinberg

June 6, 2017 at 4:43 pm

Hi Trevor!
      I will be addressing diets for endurance athletes in coming posts, so stay tuned!

3. Rona

May 30, 2017 at 1:05 am

Thanks for sharing the basics and will look forward to your future posts.
    Questions :
    1. Please explain about resveratrol and what is a good source, how to take in order to maximize result, thanks!
    2. Would taking too much calcium cause consitipation? I am not sure what I am doing wrong but I seem to have observed this pattern in y routine. Thanks!

1. hannahfeinberg

June 6, 2017 at 4:42 pm

Hi Rona! Thank you for your questions and enthusiasm around my blog! Resveratrol is compound found in red grapes, blueberries, and raspberries that acts as an antioxidant. I think supplementation is probably unnecessary and regular consumption of the fruits stated above provide adequate amounts of resveratrol.
      Regarding calcium, you should be obtaining enough from your diet if you consume adequate amounts of green leafy vegetables, dairy, or fortified soy milk and orange juice. If you are concerned about underconsumption of calcium I would consult your physician to discuss a potential supplement. Excess calcium could cause constipation but more importantly it can increase the risk of developing kidney stones.

4. Laurie

May 30, 2017 at 1:10 am

What are your thoughts on elimination diets? Is there one you’d recommend? And is it necessary to be on an elimination diet for 30 days or is a shorter time sufficient? Thanks!

1. hannahfeinberg

May 30, 2017 at 3:47 pm

Hi Laurie! I will be addressing your question in the coming weeks. The literature suggests that you should be on an elimination diet for 4 to 12 weeks. I think a good place to start is by removing the top 8 allergens from your diet: milk, eggs, fish, shellfish, peanuts, tree nuts, soy, and wheat. If you are an individual who presents with IBS I would recommend consuming a low FODMAPs diet.

5. Cindy

May 30, 2017 at 5:45 pm

What are your thoughts on the best diet/exercise plan for women over 40?

1. hannahfeinberg

June 6, 2017 at 4:44 pm

Hi Cindy!
      In a future post I will address my thoughts on the best diets and exercise plans, so stay posted! In general I recommend following a mediterranean diet and exercising at least 30 minutes a day, 5 times a week.

6. Jess

May 30, 2017 at 10:51 pm

Hi! What are your opinions about supplements like protein shakes? What about weight loss shakes like Shakeology?

1. hannahfeinberg

June 6, 2017 at 4:33 pm

Hi Jess! Check out the blog from June 6, 2017 for my opinion regarding supplements!